Monday, June 2, 2014

Stepping It Up - May Training Recap

Check out my Memorial Weekend Blog Post!

Monday May 26, 2014 Sport Biking at Provincetown, MA and National Seashore
27 miles 100 minutes 480 ft elevation gain

Sunday May 25, 2014 Sea Kayaking on Cape Cod Bay, Tip of Massachusetts
11 miles 150 minutes, P&H Capella 16' Sea Kayak with Skeg

Saturday May 24, 2014 Road Cycling at North Truro to Wellfleet, MA
34 miles 110 minutes 580 ft elevation gain

Don't forget to stay well hydrated, refuel accordingly and spend some quality time with your wife!

Monday May 19, 2014 Mountain Biking at West Hill Dam, Uxbridge, MA
7.1 miles 68 minutes 570 ft elevation gain
A moderate intensity cross training circuit holding 90 seconds of sustained work with 30 second rests followed by an early evening trail ride is my response to questioning the morning after pains.  It is safe to say I am recovered from Sunday's triple session!

We rode exactly the same fast flowing single track and knowing the terrain helped a lot we rode the same section in 14 minutes faster than last week!  Trails were in great condition and I felt I delivered a strong consistent effort, only felt a little sluggish coming over the tops of a few hills but nothing I could not turn back over and get the bike moving again. The best news of the day is I officially purchased the 2011 Trek Fuel EX9!

The stem size was previously a lengthy 110mm which elongated my torso angle, reducing my effective turn radius and causing the front wheel to come off the ground during steeper climbs.  The stem was reduced to 30mm or 3 inches less!  The shortened stem worked... Completely different ride which helped gain the added control making short, technical maneuvers and keeping the wheel on the ground during sustained climbing, up and over obstacles.

The handle bars are 680mm or 27" in width.  The Specialized Stumpjumper is 580mm or 23" width.  No wonder it felt wildly different.  Good news is that I feel more in control going downhill, very little twitch at increase speeds on the front end. With the added width I am still concerned with crashing into a tree or rock when trying to sneak between tight sections along the trail. I will continue to ride this bike wide and consider 630mm bars as compromise in order to gain some advantage being able to sneak in between tight spots on the trail.

Really excited about the upgrade and perfect timing before 'Baby Trahan' comes popping out :-)  Time to get the Specialized Stumpjumper ready for a 5000 mile journey to its new home in Sweden!

I can show off the new wheels to my friends and show my wife's baby bump to their wives.... hahaha!


Sunday May 18, 2014 Outdoor Triple Session
8.8 miles 99 minutes. Paddling on Wyman Pond, Leominster, MA
6.6 miles 100 minutes, 2350 ft elevation gain. Trail Running at Wachusett Mountain
12.7 miles 117 minutes. Mountain Biking at Leominster State Forest

Triple session trainer in preparation for the Are Extreme Challenge on June 28.  Superb temperatures again in the 70's and slightly breezy to keep from overheating in spots.  Really wanted to push myself through all three elements of the race which is 6 weeks away but tapering off will come in 4 weeks. It was a very long day and I am feeling a bit destroyed after almost 5 hours activity.  I took about 30 minute breaks between each discipline which allowed me to completely cool down and properly refuel and stay hydrated.  It was a comfortable approach and exactly how I wanted to execute without risking bonking.

The mountain bike session was the big test of the day.  Could I come off paddling and trail running with significant elevation gains and be able to hold it together on the trails?  During the mountain bike I had a few issues with cramping up in both calves. Quickly went away with a quick stretch and rub down.  One hill completely gassed me and I could not turn over the pedals.  It was not technical at all, just a long demanding climb in which I came to a grinding, painful halt and had to walk up and over. I was questioning my fortitude to continue or just head back to the car, I decided to reach deep and ride into a 1.5 mile rolling, winding and slightly technical loop. It was the kind of final, last ditch effort that left my lungs burning and voice raspy.

Came home to an absolutely wonderful baked dinner of Linguica sausage, potatoes, carrots, onions and peppers prepared by the Good Wife Astrid!  Energy food and I could feel recovery begin almost immediately :-)

Going to probably need some decent recover time after this session. We will see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow morning.  Worse than the 7 Sisters or about the same would not be welcomed as I limped around work for 2-3 days. Hopefully better so I can pick the pace back up again pretty quickly.


Saturday May 17, 2014 Road Cycling, Wachusett Reservoir
22.6 miles 71minutes 750 ft elevation gain
Good overall energy riding my local loop around the reservoir. I think today surpassed the number of people by a tenth degree of popularity than last weeks ride.  Tough to get into a rhythm early from three straight days Spin instructing.  I forgot to replace the batteries on my bike computer.  Damn! Pushed the flats a little harder today but a strong headwind on the return hurt my overall time with the addition of a 5 mile stretch of road work I was riding rumble strip and dodging chunks of asphalt everywhere. Conserved energy in the hills today. Hit 35mph on one of the descents today so that  big push was 3mph faster than last week.


Monday May 12, 2014 Mountain Biking at West Hill Dam, Uxbridge, MA
7.0 miles 82 minutes 700 ft elevation gain
Riding locally after work with buddy from Waters. Some fast flowing single track, very little technical some challenges in spots but a perfect trail system for taking it easy.  Today was coolness because I was out test riding his 2011 Trek Fuel EX9.  The bike was well taken care of and ready to ride! Beautiful woodland setting, tall pine forest with shorter white pines brushing past their soft bristles hanging over the edge of the trail-side.  Would consider riding here to double up on back to back days, especially after riding more technical trails or long hard effort on the prior day.

Going from a pretty rigid hardtail with little suspension to a full suspension bike is always a treat. Avid Elixir hydraulic discs, SRAM X7 2x10 gearing, sweet set of Mavic Crossmax wheels and upgraded tires. Fox Float 32 has 120mm travel. The front fork stanchion has many scratches high up but should not affect performance because the travel does not go that high.  Should not be a problem. Pretty standard, Fox Float RP2 rear shock

This one plays a little bit longer though with three factors contributing to a little less control in the steering. Its an 18" frame vs my 17.5" hardtail.  Wider handlebars and a little bit too long in the stem.  First plan is to replace with a shortest stem possible and test ride again see how that affects the turn radius and controlling the bike making corner maneuvers.  


Saturday May 10, 2014 Paddling on Lake Quinsigamond
6.5 miles 71 minutes
Immediately after cycling, already had the kayak and gear packed.  Jumped in my car and drove over to my buddy Brendan's.  He recently purchased a Laser K1 racing kayak by Simon River Sports.  Sleek and fast, he was quite obviously more efficient and using less energy.    The Laser accelerates to maximum hull speed very fast off the start and in a sprint he just accelerates, light speed ahead! First mile was tough with a cross wind but then it turned behind for the next 2 miles.  On the way back intermittent headwind and once again getting blasted with a crosswind.  Always makes paddling difficult.  If I had gone out this morning, the lake was reportedly glass.  This is what I get waiting until later in the day with thunderstorms brewing on the horizon. Great to see Brendan paddling the new boat so well.


Saturday May 10, 2014 Road Cycling, Wachusett Reservoir
22.6 miles 69 minutes 750 ft elevation gain
With temps in the mid 70's spring has certainly sprung loose.   It was great to see lots of people on the road cycling today. I set a good pace but could not keep track of my progress or efforts during the ride because my bike computer was not reading. Still held up naturally and put in some solid strength drills working hard up the hills. Took the flats fairly consistent conserving energy to crash into the next hill.



Saturday May 3, 2014 Mountain Biking at Great Brook State Park
12.3 miles 97 minutes 1050 ft elevation gain
To be honest....  My wife told me get your butt moving this morning or I am not going biking with you.  That is the kind of motivation I needed! This was just a recreational ride but I think she understands me flying all over the trails and "waiting" for her here and there! Kenny and Cynthia joined in on the fun.  Overall this is an outstanding playground for beginners and a great place to work technique while having a good time and reducing the risk of a major catastrophe this early in the season.  I save those for late summer! Played with some cows and sheep, nice little farm and ice cream dairy is the kind of reward you get at Great Brook.



Saturday May 3, 2014 Paddling on Lake Quinsigamond
6.3 miles 70 minutes
Before biking today I pulled off the sneaky spin around the local lake again today in the X5. Trying to focus on better form and build some muscle memory not too mention little bits of strength. A slight breeze today but not the blustery kind that makes you want to crack at the seams!  Rowing Regatta on the lake so lots of collegiate teams in action and tons spectators. Knowing what I know now I regret not rowing in college. Rugby was a fine sport though to pass the time away :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment