Saturday, June 7, 2014

Committing to the Haglöfs Åre Extreme Challenge

Jag älskar friloftsliv i Svenska fjällen och skogen!

Haglöfs Åre Extreme Challenge

After getting the thumbs up from my sweet wife Astrid and planning a well timed Midsummer, family and friends visit to Östersund, Sweden I will be competing in my first international multisport competition. Been looking forward to this race ever since I learned of it when visiting for the first time 8 years ago. Lacking the experience I knew I had a long way to go.  The HÅEC attracts quite a large contingent of elite and professional multisport and adventure racers from all over Scandinavia. I am going to find out the hard way that I have barely touched the surface of possibility.

Multisport racing could be considered the outdoor enthusiasts alternative to the modern triathlon. Race formats vary between events, each taking you into unique back-country landscapes turned race course. Events are typically less crowded but the intensity is just as high.  I find this kind of racing more appealing because when turned sport it can be just as exhilarating and heart pounding as any triathlon. The HÅEC features elements of downriver paddling, mountain running and cross country mountain biking, all of which put the body to the ultimate test, negotiating an epic landscape in the heart of Jämtland, Sweden. Multisport offers even the most amateur competitor the chance to test themselves in their favorite outdoor activity.




Paddling
Tännforsen falls marks the start of the race and the perfect backdrop to begin the challenge. Paddlers follow Indalsälven a total of 25-km into the large lake in the resort town of Åre.  There appears to be two lengthy rapids of note that racers will have to negotiate. Whitewater is not a problem because I have been paddling and racing on Class II-IV for over 10 years now.  There are also two portages which is where I will take the opportunity to quickly refuel. The rest of the paddle is pretty straightforward, paddle efficient and strong. Things are going to slow down once hitting the flat water of Åresjön.  Any kind of headwind here of any kind can break a paddler.

Competing 2013 New England  Whitewater Triple Crown 

(Photo compliments Regina Nicolardi)

Mountain Run
Åreskutan appears to the racers as this massive lone peak 1420 meters high in which runners have to climb over the summit more than 1000 meters in total elevation gain then back down the other side to the town of Husa approximately 15-km in distance. The landscape and terrain is not all that different from the high mountain summits in the Appalachian Mountains of New England. Farther up in the Northern hemisphere the alpine zone starts between 600m-700m elevation and exposure to the elements can add varying degrees of difficulty.  Time spent wandering around  the Presidential Range which boasts a similar spectacular expanse of ridgelines and ravines might be useful here.

Competing in the 2014 Seven Sisters Trail Race - Holyoke Range in western Massachusetts

(Photo by Greg Saulmon)

Cross Country Mountain Biking
From Husa, transition from the trail to the bike, heading back to town of Åre some 35-km distance away. I have read that the terrain along the cross country course is notoriously wet and muddy which will suck the life out of an already tired competitor.  Hitting the wall in the final leg is my biggest concern.  I have been training on the mountain bike.... tired.... a lot. Mountain biking is fairly new sport for me in the last three years but have competed in several mountain bikes races and have pushing myself constantly on the trails.  Having a strong cycling base endurance will hopefully pay dividends here.  I will have to reach down deep and pull out those last miles necessary to finish this race.

Competing 2013 Greenway Challenge  Blackstone Valley


Racing internationally I am immediately facing my biggest obstacle of not being able to train on the very same terrain. Challenge of not becoming familiar with a race course I have never paddled, hiked, or cycled!  This is a huge element working against me.  I am probably not alone with others planning on travelling long distances to participate in the HÅEC with blinders on. Gear is also a rather important thing to consider since I will be travelling with all my equipment.  Knowing that this sub arctic climate can throw anything at you this time of year, from 30 Celsius sunny day to a frigid rain in the valleys and snowing at the summit I will be forced to pack accordingly. I know we are all hoping for 17 Celsius, partly cloudy skies with a slight breeze. Wishful thinking!

In order to minimize some of the equipment dilemmas, I have decided to pack my 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper and bring it over.... forever. I hope to have access to a sea kayak to paddle locally on Storsjön. This will allow me to train a little bit as I taper my mileage, staying loose before race day. We are flying in two weekends before the challenge.  No problem with any sort of jet lag there.  Should be well rested come race day.

Prepared the last five months and having some good results racing and steadily ramping up training keeping the momentum.  As the weather improved, this opened up new cross training opportunities.  I have also added an element of cross functional strength training with Kettlebell and TRX to help build better balance, core and to change-up regularly scheduled indoor training on the stair-climber, rowing machine and Spinning. As a Spinning instructor since September 2013 and leading two classes weekly since February, the focus on training in the energy zones has never been greater.

Returning home from surviving my first of two planned triple sessions
Its not all about muscles and gear though.  Its about confidence and mind over body.  Yes, we spend countless hours training the body in preparation to crash into a course and go head to head with your competition but if your mind checks out then your race is over.  Your finished.  Pace yourself, keep your whits... pay attention to your surroundings at all times, do not forget to refuel and hydrate according to your specific plan and focus on moving with efficiency and staying in the zone.

Tapering my training could not come at a better time but I have to be mindful of the following while celebrating as we reunite with family and get together with friends.


To Fika or not to Fika
That is the question! I might have to get some training in before each Fika and have the energy to continue some training after the Fika.  Too bad there are not Fika stations setup along the race course like I heard they do with Blåbärssoppa in the Vasaloppet!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do - Har fika med kompis!

Bingo Royale
We were invited to a Swedish style barn party hosted by some of my favorite people in all of Sweden. This could be problematic and get all kinds of crazy, fun.  I might have to get some training in before the festivities begin. Can you feel the pepper?

Midsummer Celebration
I have seen the outlandish IKEA commercials and well, I know dancing around the pole singing små grodorna only gets better as the "night" continues. Hopefully Midsummer celebration does not get in the way of your training either... Dryka mycket vatten, dansa alla kvell!


Getting closer to Sweden involves immersing yourself into the culture and stepping foot onto their many landscapes. Sweden has a strong community of multisport enthusiasts and has already become a place to continue pursuing my outdoor interests but not only releasing the spirit recreationally, now for training the physical body and mind competitively. There is no better way I can think of doing that than participating in Haglöfs Åre Extreme Challenge!



I know my 'Svensk Familj' will be the best support team ever....especially my beautiful Jamtlandstaus! So excited to meet all the crazy go nuts competitors over there.... registered as the 199th soloist and now I see there are 220 solo men signed up with almost 800 total competitors the largest number registered ever........... Bring it!

Work hard, train hard, play harder..............Lycka Till!!!!!
Mark


Is it true, are we looking at the "Best Support Team Ever?"






3 comments:

  1. Nice photos - especially the very flattering photo of all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Mark we know you will do well. Enjoy your adventure! Kevin and Mary xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trahan, great blog, great pics. Your support team looks a little wet and miserable. Maybe they could use some Gevalia? Looking forward to your recap of the big event. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete